Thursday, August 8, 2013

{Family} The Farwells Go Camping

It's two days before we leave for a week of camping in the Adirondacks and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.  We've never camped as a family before.  We're green.  Really green.
 
 
I'm trying to figure out what we need to bring, how to cook food over a campfire and camp stove, and how to keep everyone engaged and having fun.
 
I'm also unsure how I'll feel about a week of not blow drying my hair.  Oh, vanity, you're such a pain!  Do I bring my make-up if I'm just going to be eaten by a bear?  Ha, ha!  (Okay, stop laughing.  I'm actually scared about this...}
 
I went shopping today for no-fail meals...canned soup, ramen cup o' soup, fruit, pbj, and marshmallows.  We're going to try some campfire meals, too...chicken & veggie foil packets, hobo biscuits, blueberry muffins cooked in orange peels, and roasted corn and potatoes.  If all else fails, I think my kids would be happy to survive on marshmallows...and I'm stashing some chocolate!
 
But seriously, I am so excited for the opportunity to really connect again with each of my kids and as a family without the stresses of work, the never-ending "to-do" list, and the distractions of technology.  I am the worst.  I always have my iPhone nearby and the computer is a few steps away.  My kids are always asking to watch tv shows and I cave way too often because it's easy and well, I'm probably ignoring them anyhow while on my phone.  Sad but true.  We've all developed this dependence on technology to entertain us.
 
So, if you think of it, pray that we strengthen our family relationships while away this week.  Pray that we can come up with a plan for managing our lives and screen time appropriately when we get back home.  Pray that we have tons of fun!!!
 
And pray that we don't get eaten by bears...


2 comments:

Jen said...

I have confidence you will all do great!! AND will not get eaten by bears.

My aunt and uncle camp up that way every year. Have a great time. I love disconnecting!

Susan said...

Sounds like a true adventure! Enjoy. Some of our family's favorite memories are from camping.
Blessings,
Susan
@SugarBeans.org
ps praying for no bear sightings:)